The Chautauqua Watershed Conservancy is seeking a full-time, enthusiastic, dynamic Conservationist.
Position Description: The Conservationist will lead CWC's Healthy Landscaping for Healthy Waters Program to engage landowners, service providers, governments and agencies to implement actions that enhance lakeshore and watershed properties for water quality protection and fish and wildlife habitat enhancement. The Conservationist will be responsible for promoting watershed stewardship techniques, action, and the mission of the CWC to diverse public audiences, individual landowners, and donors, directly and through workshops and traditional and social media. This will include:
- organizing hands-on training and workshops
- providing technical assistance to landowners on lakeshore and streambank buffer design and plant selection, landscaping for wildlife, rain garden/bio swale design, and plant selection
- writing and designing watershed education mail pieces, e-news, web postings, and social media
- providing publicity on stream erosion and nutrient control projects and other conservation actions through traditional and social media
- improving and expanding our successful waterfront buffer and watershed stewards program for increased water quality and habitat benefits on streams and lakes across Chautauqua County, NY
- developing water quality conservation projects and
- identifying funding sources and preparing proposals for future program funding.
Minimum Qualifications: Degree in landscape design, environmental engineering, horticulture, lake management, biology, forestry, science education, environmental science, communications or public relations; knowledge of watershed science and ecology; proven record of teaching, public presentations or conservation or horticultural technical assistance; excellent written, oral and electronic communications skills; and strong conservation ethic. Must have valid driver’s license and own transportation and ability to carry presentation and field equipment.
Salary: $27,040 to $31,200 plus benefits per year for 35 to 40 hours per week.
Start Date: The proposed start date for this position is May 30, 2017, and is contingent upon the CWC securing grant funding in May.
The Chautauqua Watershed Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.